Within the first quarter of 2024, SK functional polymer (SKFP) will start to market the IONIATM ionomers product range in EMEA region. The IONIATM ionomers are made through a brand new process developed by SK geo centric (SKGC), SKFP mother company based in South Korea. The advantage of this new process is to have extremely low gel levels and is very well adapted to film production. They are suitable for flexible film applications as sealing layers or abrasion-resistant layers.
IONIATM ionomers are sodium- or zinc-based with melt index ranging from 1.3 to 15. They have been designed to be easily processed by blown/cast extrusion as well as extrusion coating & lamination. Their main characteristics are:
- Oustanding seal through contamination;
- Excellent hot tack strength over a broad temperature range;
- Low seal initiation temperature;
- Excellent oil and grease resistance;
- Superior clarity and puncture resistance.
The table below shows the main grade of IONIATM ionomers. This product range is growing rapidly to bring new solutions to our customers. We will communicate about new grades soon.
A key advantage of the IONIATM resins is the extremely low gel levels. They are very well adapted to film production and other extrusion processes. They are suitable for flexible film applications as sealing layers or abrasion-resistant layers. IONIATM ionomers will complement the current solutions of SKFP resins:
- LOTADER® tie layer for extrusion coating and lamination;
- OREVAC® grafted polyolefins based tie resin for blown and cast coextrusion of barrier films;
- EVASINTM EVOH oxygen-barrier resins:
- LOTRYL® Bestpeel seal-peel resins;
- EVATANE® and Lotryl® EMA lock-seal copolymers.
The IONIATM ionomers are currently produced in SKGC Tarragona plant in Spain and are sold globally. New IONIATM ionomers grades are currently under development to meet the need of our customers. The IONIATM ionomers complement the PRIMACOR IOTM product range currently produced in the USA.
For more information about IONIATM ionomers, please contact your local SKFP/SKGC representative or contact us through www.sk-fp.com