Come to visit us at Plast Milan 2023. SKFP will share a booth with its distributor Ambra Polymers and will present its solutions for packaging, compounding and plastic recycling.
SK Functional Polymer (SKFP) has more than 50 years of experience in the development and supply of specialty polyolefins.
SKFP extensive range of specialty resins are suited to a large number of applications in packaging, automotive and construction. These products are produced in three manufacturing facilities in Europe (Balan, Carling and Mont) but are sold globally. More than 90% of its production is sold outside of France, especially in the USA, China, India, Germany and Italy. SKFP materials are marketed under the following brand names:
- LOTADER®: reactive ethylene-acrylate maleic anhydride terpolymers and reactive ethylene-acrylate glycidyl methacrylate terpolymers
- LOTRYL®: ethylene-acrylate copolymers
- EVATANE®: ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymers
- OREVAC®: reactive anhydride maleic modified polyolefins.
- EVASINTM : ethylene-vinyl alcohol copolymers (a trademark of Chang Chun Petrochemicals, based in Taipei, Taiwan)
SK Functional Polymer markets an extensive range of specialty polyolefins that are suited to a large number of applications. SKFP next challenge is to become a major actor in the plastic circular economy by growing applications where its products help to recycle plastics wastes and are involved in the production of green energy.
Recycling / Upcycling
A second life can be given to recycled plastics such as rPET, rABS, rPA, rABS, rPE, rPP and their blends. Using the same principle as for virgin resins, SKFP products can boost the performance of recycled resins.
Compatibilizers and particularly Recycled plastics / Polymer blends
LOTADER®, OREVAC® and LOTRYL® offer good compatibilization for polymer blends with improved properties.
The use of blends to improve mechanical properties and the development of recycled polymers in compounds require excellent polymer compatibilization. Functional polyolefins allows homogenizing polymeric components of blends and improving the mechanical properties and the processability.
Temperature resistant thermoplastics (for example PA, PBT, PET, PPS, ABS and PC/ABS, PC/PBT alloys) are more and more frequently used in the automotive, electrical and electronic industries.
These engineering plastics have good mechanical and thermal properties but their main weakness is their poor impact resistance, especially in presence of notch.
A well established solution consists in homogeneously dispersing small particles of an elastomeric polymer (low Tg) into the rigid matrix to inhibit its brittle behaviour.
Benefits of SKFP resins for impact modification:
- High impact resistance thanks to low Tg (below -30°C)
- Flexible materials to absorb energy and avoid craze propagation
- Excellent thermal stability which makes it compatible with the usual processing temperatures of most engineering plastics (> 250-300°C)
- Wide range of functionality & viscosity
The addition of fillers to polymers in order to improve mechanical strength (modulus), thermal properties like HDT (Heat Deflection Temperature) and Vicat is very commonly used.
Maleic anhydride grafted polyolefins, such as OREVAC® PP and PE, are used in the formulation to improve the properties of the compounds.
OREVAC® range is an efficient coupling agent in filled or reinforced compounds to improve:
- Filler / Matrix interfacial adhesion
- Overall cohesion of the material
- Tensile and impact properties of the compounds.
- Can be used with all kind of fillers and fibers (glass, natural, …).